Yet Another Reason BCS Ratings are Pointless
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: The BCS is worthless.
Yesterday showed once again that the BCS is completely worthless. There is no point other than to make people talk about how terrible a subjective system is in a definitive sport. Oklahoma slaughtered Texas Tech. It wasn’t even remotely close the entire game. I’m not saying Texas Tech is a bad team. They are a great team. They just got outplayed and out-coached by Oklahoma on Saturday.
The real question is why do we have a ranking system for a sport that is a win-or-lose sport? It’s not like these guys are figure skaters. Football is a game that you either win or lose (and sometimes tie). It’s like a race. You don’t see us rating Usain Bolt as #1 for any other reason than the fact that he holds the world record in the 100m dash, right? You win, you are top dog.
Yet, with college football, we seem to want a “national champion” so bad that we are going to sacrifice the quality of the competition. We’ve allowed the BCS to run the “national champion” rating system into nothing more than a joke. Occassionally they will get lucky a produce a good championship game (like Texas vs. USC) and keep the whole scam going.
- What a difference a preposition makes
- Project Sunroof & Why Homeowners Should be Incented to be Energy Suppliers
- Paul Krugman is Everything that is Wrong with Academic Economics
- Everything Awesome and Disappointing About the Chevy Volt
- Solving the Washington Name Controversy While Honoring Native Americans
advertising america bailout bank bailout Bush Business California California Proposition Christmas clinton college Congress dating democracy ecommerce Economics economy election energy Environment ex-girlfriend facebook family fanbox fanbox spam federal government federal reserve football fraud friends Funny george bush George W. Bush google government government spending Hillary Clinton humor inflation internet John McCain life magento McCain media News new york NFL obama open source parents phishing politicians Politics president presidential election radio show recession Relationships scam security social networking social networks Sports stealing suicide taxes technology Television thoughts travel united states w women Work
Browse historical data!
- Canceling a #model3 order b/c @elonmusk advises Trump is like saying you're an environmentalist but not telling anyone about clean energy 1 month ago
- #developerproblems Writing a try/catch statement without writing it as #cashmeoutside 1 month ago
- How is it @BettyMWhite wasn't cast for #Oceans8? 1 month ago
- Hi 1 month ago
- Croissant muffins are my new favorite way to breakfast in the late morning. #cruffin 1 month ago
- Meeting some great companies at #FitExpo in #LA yesterday and today! Always love hearing inspirational #startup stories! 2 months ago
- Learning to code is making a difference and saving lives! ideas.ted.com/why-im-teachin… 3 months ago
- You know you're on a computer too much when your wife is holding an inflight magazine and you try to tap a photo to zoom. #travel 4 months ago
- I think Shaqaroni & cheese is my favorite @SHAQ nickname I've heard at #QBConnect 4 months ago
- I'm pretty sure @SHAQ's ring he's wearing at #QBConnect is as big as my head! #champ 4 months ago
weight loss takes on LOL Weims are FUNNY! Project Sunroof… on Energy Crisis Solved? 22 Babies Sick Of Be… on LOL Weims are FUNNY! 22 Babies Sick Of Be… on LOL Weims are FUNNY! 22 Babies Sick Of Be… on LOL Weims are FUNNY!
- cool stuff
- Creative Writing
- just for fun
- marketing tips
- Stuff that sucks
- swing dance
- Swing Dance Events
- Team Management & Leadership
- Weird Stuff