Sharper Image Bankruptcy Google Search: Sensational service and totally unique merchandise
March 9, 2008 in Business, Funny, Gadgets, humor, marketing tips, media, News, Stuff that sucks
Tags: ad age, ad claims, advertising, al reis, bad news, bankruptcy, branding, gift certificates, good news, google, karma, NASDAQ, richard thalheimer, searches, sensational service, Sharper Image
The day I heard about the Sharper Image Bankruptcy, I searched Google for the term: sharper image bankruptcy. There was a Google Adsense ad for Sharper Image. At the time, I thought I should take a screen capture, but I didn’t. The next day, I came back and the ad was gone. Perhaps Sharper Image ran out of budget for the day, because the ad is back!
Based upon the blogs that I’ve been reading about not fulfilling on gift certificates and the obvious stiffing companies for millions of dollars, it is rather humorous that Sharper Image has an advertisement on Google when you type in sharper image bankruptcy. What makes it even funnier is that the ad claims: “Sensational service and totally unique merchandise”. I’ll have to tell that to my brother who got stiffed for his Sharper Image gift certificate this weekend while receiving “sensational service”.
The good news is that Sharper Image has resumed redemption of their gift cards. The bad news is that you need to read the details:
All Gift Cards, etc., will be honored for their full value with two conditions – (1) they must be redeemed in full in one transaction; and (2) customers must purchase an item that costs double the value of the gift certificate or merchandise certificate. For example, if a customer holds a $25 Gift Certificate, the customer will get the full value of the $25 Gift Certificate as long as the customer purchases at least $50 worth of goods. Partial redemptions will not be honored at this time. This is a purely voluntary program. Customers who do not wish to redeem their cards on this basis can retain them for future use, as Sharper Image is working diligently to be able to honor the cards without condition in the future.
On the other side of karma, Sharper Image has been delisted by NASDAQ, essentially placing the proverbial nail in the coffin. Without a print catalog (they didn’t pay their printer $6MM) and half the number of stores, Sharper Image really has nothing to stand on moving forward.
One final word of advice to future marketers: If your company files for bankruptcy, remove your ads from Google and the other search engines for search terms that would include the keyword bankruptcy.
- What a difference a preposition makes
- Project Sunroof & Why Homeowners Should be Incented to be Energy Suppliers
- Paul Krugman is Everything that is Wrong with Academic Economics
- Everything Awesome and Disappointing About the Chevy Volt
- Solving the Washington Name Controversy While Honoring Native Americans
advertising america bailout bank bailout Bush Business California California Proposition Christmas clinton college Congress dating democracy ecommerce Economics economy election energy Environment ex-girlfriend facebook family fanbox fanbox spam federal government federal reserve football fraud friends Funny george bush George W. Bush google government government spending Hillary Clinton humor inflation internet John McCain life magento McCain media News new york NFL obama open source parents phishing politicians Politics president presidential election radio show recession Relationships scam security social networking social networks Sports stealing suicide taxes technology Television thoughts travel united states w women Work
Browse historical data!
- Canceling a #model3 order b/c @elonmusk advises Trump is like saying you're an environmentalist but not telling anyone about clean energy 1 month ago
- #developerproblems Writing a try/catch statement without writing it as #cashmeoutside 1 month ago
- How is it @BettyMWhite wasn't cast for #Oceans8? 1 month ago
- Hi 1 month ago
- Croissant muffins are my new favorite way to breakfast in the late morning. #cruffin 2 months ago
- Meeting some great companies at #FitExpo in #LA yesterday and today! Always love hearing inspirational #startup stories! 2 months ago
- Learning to code is making a difference and saving lives! ideas.ted.com/why-im-teachin… 3 months ago
- You know you're on a computer too much when your wife is holding an inflight magazine and you try to tap a photo to zoom. #travel 4 months ago
- I think Shaqaroni & cheese is my favorite @SHAQ nickname I've heard at #QBConnect 5 months ago
- I'm pretty sure @SHAQ's ring he's wearing at #QBConnect is as big as my head! #champ 5 months ago
weight loss takes on LOL Weims are FUNNY! Project Sunroof… on Energy Crisis Solved? 22 Babies Sick Of Be… on LOL Weims are FUNNY! 22 Babies Sick Of Be… on LOL Weims are FUNNY! 22 Babies Sick Of Be… on LOL Weims are FUNNY!
- cool stuff
- Creative Writing
- just for fun
- marketing tips
- Stuff that sucks
- swing dance
- Swing Dance Events
- Team Management & Leadership
- Weird Stuff